View Single Post
Old 09-28-2016, 12:56 AM  
StarlightSerenity
Wicked Witch of Manchester

Hi guys, long time no see! Hope everyone is well.

Looking for a bit of advice. A local pet store that I get on very well with has recently had to have a leg amputated from one of their hamsters, the op went well (I know the vet, she's excellent with hamsters) and she's recovered quickly. The pet store has asked if I would be interested in taking her on as they want her to go to an experienced home who will look after her well. I'm going to pick her up this weekend. Looking forward to meeting her!

However, I've never owned a three legged ham, it was one of her back legs that had to be amputated. Is there anything I need to be careful of? She'll be moving into an Alaska cage, currently with a 28cm Trixie wheel, will that style wheel be OK? Substrate wise, I'm currently using woodshavings but considering going back to Fitch. Would she be better with Fitch? The cage doesn't have any shelves in it as it had an elderly ham in it, I assume she'd likely struggle getting up ladders etc so I'd be better off not putting in shelves?

I'll be keeping a very careful eye on the stump, I'm not sure how high the amputation was but I imagine she'll will put pressure on the area when moving around. Is there anything other than redness to the area that I need to look out for?

TIA!

Just had a thought - would she be better off with a flying saucer wheel? I could give one of my other Syrians the trixie wheel and put the flying saucer in the newbies cage.

Last edited by souffle; 09-28-2016 at 06:41 AM.
StarlightSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote