View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 08:19 PM  
badwolf
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Hamster or Mouse?

I have syrians, dwarves and mice. Mice DEFINITELY smell more! I never notice my hamsters smelling really. The boys also smell worse than the girls, but if you have a large group of girls living together sometimes it's not much better. If you do decide on mice, don't keep males together. The likelihood of finding two that will live together without fighting to the death is minimal. Females tend to get along pretty well, even if they're from different litters. What I will say though is that if you're buying feeder mice, take them to the vet right away to get them sexed properly. Dont trust the store. You might buy a male for a pet and end up with a pregnant female. Someone else did and that's how I ended up with my first babies!

I'd say that mice would be more entertaining to watch in their cages than hamsters, but are very active and not prone to sitting still for long or at all! My boy Drake is super tame and will climb all over me. I can trust him to be out climbing around on me and the couch when I'm doing whatever. He rides about the house on my shoulder like a bird. There's only him and one girl I know won't jump off. Mice move fast and they jump far!!! I have a dwarf ham who happily sits still on me for cuddles and an active syrian who never seems to sit still, so remember that hamster personalities can vary and gender/species stereotypes don't always apply.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me!
badwolf is offline   Reply With Quote