Thread: Nuts
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2016, 04:36 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Nuts

My russian male is well into his 2nd year now and has a loose tumour and has to also have his hamster food mashed up and other things added in due to him having tooth issues as well.

I buy the small bags of mixed nuts from Lidl or Aldi supermarkets that contain walnut, hazelnut, brazil nut and cashew. They are non salted and they get pieces broken off and mashed into his food when I prepare it for him daily. I also grate the nuts to roll his soft food in! A bit like coconut.

His Zooplus hamster mix also had peanuts in, so I break some of these up and add those too in small amounts. Remember too that nuts don`t have the same fats as meat products, so are essentially `good` fats in moderation.

It becomes harder to feed elderly hams when they start to have health issues so imagination is required. I throw in porridge oats, some mashed dry Weetabix, small piece of broken rich tea biscuit and anything else I think will `taste` his food and make it more palatable. I use supreme science selective biscuits for binding it all together. x