Thread: The Alaska Cage
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: The Alaska Cage

The Hamster Heaven is £59.99 on Zooplus - which is a lot cheaper than £90 for the Mickey 2XL which is virtually identical, but still not cheap and a lot of what you pay for are the tubes and extra plastic bits which many people end up removing and blocking off the top tubes (although you can use them as in-cage floor toys). It is a great cage though and well made, and if you check on ebay and gumtree in your area there are often used ones for sale.

Savic Hamster Heaven Metro Cage | Great deals at zooplus!

I had forgotten about the Grosvenor cage - that is also reasonably low. Seems to have gone up in price though. It's usually less than £50 and currently over £53. One thing I would say though, is the dimensions of the Grosvenor are very close to the dimensions of the duna multy, and also with top opening the same, so as the others say, some comes down to whether you prefer a barred cage or a tank style. What kind of cage is your hammy in now? Barred or perspex?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Frie...r+hamster+cage

I think some hamsters feel more secure in a tank style cage, but it can depend on their personalities a bit. There is certainly less of a fall risk with a duna multy and they would be easier to set up safely. Ventilation is fine providing there is enough depth of bedding (ie so everything is nearer the top!).

If your hamster seems very active and confident then something like the Alaska cage or Hamster Heaven would give more scope for activity and lots of hidey places and levels - but would take a bit of thinking about when setting up - although we can help with that! If your hamster seems a bit shy or chews the bars then the tank style duna multy might be more suitable. But they are all good cages and will fit an 8" wheel easily.

I am not sure what I would go for as I haven't had dwarf hamsters - we have a Syrian. I do prefer barred cages for our Syrian as I can attach so many things to the bars which makes it interesting. But I think I would worry about fall risks with a dwarf hamster in a cage unless it had a full level for example.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote