View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 11:04 AM  
Harebell
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Honestly you might find by the time you add levels and other necessary things to a tall cage you're not really saving much,plus overall considering the actual floor space given DIY cages would be cheaper than a lot of storebought cages as long as they are built largely(over a square meter).

Everyone keeps saying that, but after I factored everything in the DIY option came to about the same cost for the same result. For it to be significantly worthwhile there would have to be a lot of luck involved; knowing someone with the right tools, finding the right item at the right price, getting the time to put it together, not having it look like a bodge job.

There's a lot to be said for DIY, but I am not sure it is something that would work out in my particular situation. Perhaps it's just the suppliers I can use in my local area, but it just wasn't cost effective, even for a larger cage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyashamsters View Post
Are you ordering from Zooplus? If so, then they have a Barney cage on there for £50 which is 100x50cm and only 40cm tall, which is a far more appropriate height
It's the substrate depth I am most interested in, I am not sure how comparable they are? It looks like I could provide a very deep layer of substrate which (from brief looks at the customer photos) exceed the Barney, but maybe the clear glass is misleading me?

I did consider tracking down a cheap second hand aquarium and making a topper, but in my area they all seem to go for £200, even leaky ones.

Last edited by Fluffagrams; 08-29-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts
Harebell is offline   Reply With Quote