Thread: Not Diabetes?
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 AM  
SmolHam
Newborn Pup

Default Not Diabetes?

So I recently adopted a dwarf, Oreo, who desperately needed a home after being fed on all of the wrong things (rabbit food, guinea pig food and odd bits of apple apparently).

As soon as i brought her home she had a really strong smelling scent on her, almost like a dog. I put her on the Burgess Dwarf Hamster Harvest and some of mr Johnson's advance hamster and gerbil pellets which she prefers more. I've also brought some JR Farm's dwarf mix for when they almost finished other mixes.

It's almost been a week but the smell hasn't improved and it's there as soon as I've cleaned the cage, now it's starting to smell sweet. I have suspected diabetes the past week and bought some keto diastix but that came back negative, she was vet checked last weekend before adoption so I dont really feel like it's necessary to go again.

Could this be natural odour/scent? It doesn't smell like urine at all. she's also not drinking excessively and she's eating normally as she's settling in. Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

ps. got cookie a Billy cage last week
SmolHam is offline   Reply With Quote