View Single Post
Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 AM  
Emma H_amster_
Senior Hamster

Default Re: questions about Syrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
That should be fine!Seagrass is completely fine,as long as they holes are big enough for a Syrian which they probably are
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
Seagrass tunnels are fine, I've used smaller ones with my dwarfs & they love them so I'm sure a syrian would enjoy one too.
I'll have to leave toy suggestions to those who have kept or keep syrians I'm afraid but maybe have a look through the lets see your cages threads for some ideas.

Let's See Your Cages (May 2016)

Let's see your cages! (From May 2015)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
Clay/terracotta pots are really good as hiding spots and they can be put in a fridge or freezer during hot weather if necessary to make a cool hiding place!They're also very cheap even for Syrian sized pots in my experience
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Ditto! You have a good Syrian cage already - no need to buy another one. It'll be fine and has a nice big front door for access. It'll need disinfecting before use, with a petsafe disinfectant and then a good rinse to get rid of the smell. I wouldn't keep any wood items. Good toys for Syrians are rat tubes or rat sputniks. Another idea for a shoebox house is to keep the lid as a lift-off roof and cut out the bottom, and cut a hole in one side for a door That way you don't have to take the house out when you want to check inside - just lift the lid/roof off.

My tip would definitely be: potty litter tray - Syrians usually use them. If you fill the base as deep as you can with substrate and a box house on top, you might not even need a shelf, but a smaller corner shelf might be good. You can also tie a rat boredom breaker tube to the side of the cage or the roof as an acess tunnel to the sputnik from a shelf or house roof. I also like Clumsy Pianists set up with one large home made platform on legs, that makes like a second level (check the "show us your cages" thread). The rat sputniks are quite popular with Syrians though - especially if you put some bedding in it.
Thanks guys! do i need to disinfect the food bowl and drinking bottle too? and shelf?
Emma H_amster_ is offline   Reply With Quote