View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 11:30 PM  
Emma H_amster_
Senior Hamster

Default Re: questions about Syrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClumsyPianist View Post
I've got the Alaska myself for my Syrian Milo and I personally find it a bit on the small size for him and am going to upgrade him to a larger DIY cage (either 200x60 or 150x50cm). If you don't want a cage that big (which I can imagine :P) the Barney and Alexander cages are great choices, both at approximately 100x50 which make a good cage for any species of hamster.

Again, the Alaska probably will be fine for a Syrian, but I recommend going for an Alexander or a Barney as the extra space you get from it likely is so so nice for decorating the cage and adding in more toys.

Also, I can confirm that upside-down shoeboxes (or in my case ice cream boxes. :P) work wonders as houses. I gave one to Milo and he dug his way down to create tunnels and rooms and it was great, man. Highly recommend that as an alternative for a house you have to buy.

I'd toss out any wooden stuff you might have if you don't know the cause of death of your previous ham (I'm sorry for your loss. :c), but if it wasn't contagious, it could be fine to sanitize it in boiling water but I'm not too sure on that, to be honest. Drinking bottle and food dish won't need replacing. :P

Other than that I think everything was covered. Good luck and have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostsInSnow View Post
You won't need a new drinking bottle, as long as it works it's perfectly fine to use and, obviously, if you get a new bowl is totally your choice.
I've used the Alaska for Syrians in the past and it's absolutely fine for them, the little house that attaches to the shelf will probably be too small but the cage itself is fine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rads View Post
Emma,
Pip lives very happily in her Alaska home, there is plenty of room for her and she is a good sized (200g) Syrian.
Regards a wheel she has a 28cm Trixie wheel which she loves courtesy of Amazon.
I acquired her Alaska from Zooplus at a very very good price. It also fits in with our circumstances/furniture perfectly.
Finally sorry for the loss of your Poro.
thanks guys! I got the Alaska cage for poro so would just want to know if it's suitable for a Syrian. I choose to put poro to sleep because she was old. she was loosing balance and sight too I think. beginning to bite me for no reason = why I think her sight might be worse now. I have plans on my own diy house that I will show when done! so pretty sure poro wasn't sick tho. BUT I have a shelf out of wood I used for her but idk if I can use it again or I need to buy a new? and the Alaska cage fit perfectly in my room. my sister have the barney cage for browney I think. and from what I heard, it's noisy.. any suggestions for Syrian play toys and maybe a play pen too? Can't close mine and how much do they need in the play pen everyday? and when?
will probably upgrade to a barney or Alexander cage or a diy cage but I'm gonna need to find money and space for it but well... gotta find out how much I'm gonna use of money for basic have the house and shelf from the Alaska still tho but I don't really like it... poro didn't either I think and it ain't that easy to clean when need to take the shelf out all the time. but ty guys!
Emma H_amster_ is offline   Reply With Quote