View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 03:27 PM  
Emma H_amster_
Senior Hamster

Default Re: questions about Syrians

Quote:
Originally Posted by velma View Post
Hi Emma, sorry to hear about Poro.
Regarding Syrians, as you said, the main difference between them and dwarves is size - which mean everything in the cage needs to be much bigger. Including the wheel and house. Most toys, houses etc sold for hamsters are really only suitable for dwarf hamsters so you'll probably need to get much bigger things than you already have. I quite like toys which are sold as suitable for Guinea pigs such a tubes. But you can make a house by turning a shoe box upside down (without the lid) and cutting a hole for a door so you don't always have to spend a lot of money to get what you need. My dwarves (not WW) have rarely used a loo corner and mainly pee in the wheel, (I don't know what Poro did?) but my Syrian Cleo uses a jar of sand in the corner to pee in so from personal experience I think Syrians are easier to toilet train.
And depending on what you fed Poro you may need to buy a different food as dwarf mixes are different from more general mixes.

I don't have an Alaska so I can't tell you what it's like from personal experience but plenty of people on the forum have them including for housing Syrians and they seem a good cage.
thanks for the info! I know I need to get different food also because Syrians don't like The small corn that dwarf hamsters love right? is it needed to buy a new food bowl and drinking bottle? I know about the thing with Syrian toys that they mostly only fit dwarf hamsters and I know I need to get a new wheel... I think I know what kind of size they are since I had 141 Guinea pigs all at once many years ago poro mainly peed in the wheel and pooped in the house before I threw the house out because scared she would get hurt and I never got time to buy a new one but she has her coconut house! thinking about making my own house ty for the answers
Emma H_amster_ is offline   Reply With Quote