View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 12:46 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Upgrading the cage

I also like the idea of half a detolf With the other half as a spare cage just in case. There are some general tips people tend to follow when upgrading cages to help with the transition. ie moving all the existing substrate across to the new cage. When the new cage is bigger, obviously there won't be enough substrate, and the detolf has such good scope for deep substrate so they can dig tunnels, so you could put new substrate in to the depth you want and then sprinkle the old substrate on top all across the new, so it still smells familiar. Also try and keep the layout very similar - so houses, wheels etc in the same position if possible, so the "route" is a familiar one. Don't clean anything before moving items across (they'll be ok for a couple of weeks) and then do the two weeks without cleaning apart from the odd bit of spot cleaning. Adding the odd new toy should be fine (you may need more with the space). I think robos like to have a lot of "cover" as well, so filling the floor/top of substrate with toys like tubes and tunnels and hidey places or the odd cardboard box with a hole in will make them feel safer going out and about. Plus if the substrate is deep enough they can tunnel down into it. Also when setting up it's best not to have levels/shelves to avoid territorial behaviour and it's usually suggested to have two of everything for the same reason - eg two houses, wheels, food bowls, water bottles.

As they are currently in a barred cage, then another barred cage could be an option too - you would still have the pets at home cage as an emergency spare cage. I think it would need to be 7mm bar spacing for Robos though. My old 80 x 50 cage was good and had 7mm bar spacing (Savic Mickey 2XL) - it's the same as the Hamster Heaven with a lovely big front opening door. It is also a fair bit lower than a lot of cages so a better height for dwarf hamsters (ie to avoid fall risks if they climb) The downside being the cost - I've only ever seen it for sale on Amazon where it costs about £80. If you have space for a detolf it's a fairly cheap option. Although often people need something to stand it on which then bumps the price up. Some people use two smaller kallax units (so it gives storage underneath) and some have used two of the Ikea lack tables which works out cheaper.

Other tank style options are the Kerry Terrarium at zooplus (about £69). Or the duna multy cages.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote