View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Hi Juliebrei. The wood cage you linked is fine and has loads of space for enrichment. One member on here gave an excellent tip re the front door. Because the cage comes flatpack, when you assemble it you just swap the panel and door around, so the door is at the top and the panel is at the bottom. This means you can have really deep substrate for tunneling in the cage, and it also effectively lowers the fall height from the top (giving a nice soft landing. It think the mesh is about 1cm square on the lid so that is fine too. It is a good deep cage and has lots of floorspace and levels. I think it would be excellent for a Syrian hamster. I do know someone had a dwarf hamster in one as well, but some dwarf hamsters might find the style of it a bit exposed.

As the others say you would need to plastikote all the wood inside, so it was wipe clean. Some members have also used Cuprinol garden shades which is also supposed to be petsafe - and that would make the job quicker! (Plastikote comes in quite small pots).

You might need to have some sanding paper handy as well in case there were any splinters.

As you don't have your hamster yet, you don't know if he/she will be one that chews through wood cages, but if your hamsters was a chewer you would be able to reinforce or protect the corners (they usually try and chew through corners/edges of bases) with strips of metal, so it may mean being prepared for that being necessary.

Sorry I was just about to edit the bit about the mesh 1.5cm is ok for a Syrian, but it would need re-meshing for a dwarf.

I'm saying it's better than your alternative suggestions Amity I'm just commenting on the cage choice from the initial post and what can be done with it (especially re the door). I was very tempted with one of these myself. But decided I didn't want a wood cage and wouldn't like the look of it in our living room. However I think with the racetrack levels and opportunities for deep substrate it's a good cage.

A cheaper option, if you like the tank style is the Ikea detolf hack tank style cage - if you have an Ikea anywhere near you! It's a glass cabinet tipped on it's side with the glass door left off so it makes a long tank.

DETOLF Vitrineskab - sortbrun - IKEA

This is what people do with it to make it into a habitat for a hamster

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ha...L1BDkQ_AUIBigB

It would need two lids making out of pieces of wood with mesh stapled to them - if you don't mind a small amount of diy. Most people make two lids because they are easier to lift on and off than one large one - plenty of tutorials around on how to make the lids.

As Cypher mentioned, Zooplus probably ship to Denmark as well and the Barney and Alexander cages are very good 1 metre cages at reasonable prices. Zooplus also sell a perspex tank style cage - the Living World Eco Green Habitat which comes in 100cm and 120cm. It's lovely I reckon, and a similar idea to the wood cage you linked, but it's quite expensive. It also has 2cm ventilation slits in the lid, so they would need meshing and then you could again have deep substrate for tunneling.

Produkts

Living World Green Eco Habitat | zooplus.dk

It is up to you how big you want to go with a cage, and an 80cm by 50cm cage is fine too. Personally I wouldn't go any smaller than an 80cm by 50cm cage for a Syrian and think a 100cm cage is better for a Syrian (more or less - the wood one is different as it is deep and tall with lots of levels and varying widths - but still a very good size).

Just checked out the 1 metre square guinea pig and rabbit cage as well, which looks good value, but would need meshing (which has probably been mentioned). So that is also a good cage option.

But if you like the wood one, I would go for it and swap the door and bottom panel round when you assemble it.

Last edited by souffle; 07-28-2016 at 03:34 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote