View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 10:45 PM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Hamster that cannot be tamed?

How long have you had her & what cage is she in?
I agree taming out of the cage would probably be best, my female Russian was quite territorial in her cage so to begin with I would just get her out with a large mug that she was happy to climb into from there she would climb onto my hand without biting & provided I let her come to me she was soon climbing out of the door onto my hand with no problem at all & although she always remained a bit territorial in her cage she soon let me do the necessary with her in the cage without getting upset or biting.
All that does take a little time though so you need to go slowly & find what works for her, definitely do the tissue trick for as long as necessary if you haven't already & spend more time with her in the play pen for a while.
In the long run I don't think gloves help much as they still aren't getting used to hands so trying to get her out with something she'll climb into so you can transport her to the play pen is a better idea.
Try not to react if she does bite (I know it can really hurt!) but that can be seen as a reward & encourage the behaviour to continue.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote