View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 08:32 PM  
Rodent Fan
Hamster Pup

Question Why they do this?

I was wondering today why hamsters do this certain behaviour... When I'm playing with Archie, and he's going full speed playing around, and then suddenly it's like someone hit pause. He'll sit up all alert and just freeze. He'll maybe move his head to look in a different direction but he's very still and alert (before he zooms off again). Is this just stopping to assess the situation, look out for predators etc? He looks like a little meerkat when he does it.

Also, after some fun play time on the sofa today, he just lay down on the sofa really flat... his head was up, but his body was really flat with his legs splayed out behind him (it did look pretty amusing). I petted him for a good couple of minutes and he just lay there - he only stopped when I offered him a mealworm. I've never ever seen him lie down during a playtime before so I found it quite strange. Do they do this for any particular reason - or was he just chilling out?

Sorry if these are silly questions. Archie is my first hamster so I'm like a first time Mum worrying about every new thing lol.