View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 06:57 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Needing advice for rust on hamster cage

Sounds like a lot of work! Shame the Hamster Heaven is worst affected. Even with the bundle of stuff I think I'd still want to return for a refund. You could email the seller first - most will just accept it - if not you just open a case saying - not as described. Not sure how good a bargain it was, but if it was worth it for the toys and Hamster Heaven then I guess the work could be worth it. For a cage to go rusty though it must have been stored outside, somewhere wet or damp (garden?). I just can't imagine individually sanding all those bars! They would need sanding before oiling as rust is nasty stuff. Esecially if a hammy chewed bars. I guess the Peggy metro cages would make an add-on for a hamster heaven, but they are too small to use for even a dwarf hamster really, at 50cm by 40cm.

It would be easier just to make bin cages I think, than sand the bars. If you wanted to do that though, you could use doors or panels from the cages instead of mesh. Sanding a door wouldn't be so much work as whole cage.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bi...6UAggQ_AUIBygC

The large Samla bin from Ikea is a good size for a single dwarf hamster. Tubes are often better as in cage toys rather than outside a cage anyway, where they are an escape route, and those corner ones on the peggy cage are a bit risky for Syrians getting stuck - but ok for dwarfs.

SAMLA Box - IKEA

This is a good sized bin cage for a Syrian

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTRA-LARGE...am+storage+bin

It's not cheap though. The Samla is not quite big enough for a Syrian, unless you have 20cm or more depth of substrate so the floor area is higher up and wider.

Or you can get an Alaska cage for about the same price as that bin, which is a good size for a Syrian and postage is free with Zooplus for cages.

Alaska Hamster Cage | Free P&P on orders £29+ at zooplus!

Last edited by Pebbles82; 06-23-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote