View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 06:52 PM  
Pandas Pets
Newborn Pup

Default Introducing: Burrow! My second hamster ever!

This is Burrow my second ever hamster.
He is a 1 year old Chinese Hamster.

He got his name because he likes to dig holes and tunnels (Burrowing) I realize I'm not the greatest at coming up with names but he doesn't really know the difference I guess.

I’ve built him a couple of cool toys/hideaways and he seems to enjoy them.  I put tutorials on my YouTube channel of the stuff I make for my hamsters. Not all of the stuff I’ve made will have tutorials because I only just recently got the idea to do so. But for all future toys and hamster things I will be putting them up. 

I have burrow on a strict diet which I learned from ErinsAnimals and I weigh him weekly to make sure he isn’t gaining or losing much weight. I’m concerned he will get/has diabetes. Again I didn’t do my research on his species before getting him and for the first 6 to 7 months I had him on a regular diet that hammy eats and it worries me because I gave him the same treats and never picked out the peas & corn from his dish.
I give him:
1tsp of fiber: 3 times a week
1tsp of his regular seed mix (after picking out the corn and peas): Daily
1tsp of low/no sugar hamster safe vegetables: Daily
He mostly will only eat asparagus which I grow myself in my window…I’ve tried so many other veggies and he just won’t eat anything else. But I try a new veggie when I get the chance to.
1tsp of protein (chicken, eggs, boiled mealworms): Daily

I also got him at the PetSmart. I wish I had gotten from a shelter because he is just as scared as my Robo hamster. The difference is, Burrow doesn’t bite. He sits in my hand for like 2 min shivering like a Chihuahua and once he realizes I’m not going to harm him he washes his face and then starts exploring, climbing up my arm and under my legs (when I am sitting in the hamster pen) and he doesn’t mind me picking him up from there. Only the initial taking him out of his cage. Literally every time.

I’ve spent a great deal of effort trying to get him not to shake like that but it never seems to change.

I have him in 2 large joined bin cages with a tunnel connecting them, I have tape on the bottom side of the tunnels because he wouldn’t cross them without it. I guess he’s scared to fall or something? I’m not sure, but the moment I put tape there he started crossing over between the cages.s

Last edited by Pandas Pets; 12-05-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Pandas Pets is offline   Reply With Quote