View Single Post
Old 06-20-2016, 05:52 AM  
MrNibbles
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Cleaning - how often?

Thanks for your really quick and detailed replies AmityvilleHams and Serendipity! That's very reassuring. So many ideas, thank you! I had already started the cleaning though.
@Serendipitiy7000, you replied to my post before when I was all so upset when Mr. Crumble died (and he was only about 7 or 8 months old). Ever since then I have been wondering about mistakes on my side. With Cookie, my daughter and I constantly worry about every little detail and I had already planned to see the vet today as I'm so concerned about his weight and his fur (he basically looks a bit thinner than when we initially got him but hasn't lost any weight according to the scales) and I thought maybe he's got parasites.

With the hoard: I just wonder, there must be a point when you have to clear out the hoard? I've only noticed then (worried again ) that Cookie seems to hardly eat anything! Everything (in particular all the things I thought were treats like the peanuts) seems to be in his hoard! He eats all the fresh stuff (he also had some chicken last week and I checked his nest the next day) the same day. Also he prefers scatter feeding and takes the occasional treat from our hands but apart from sunflower seeds I wouldn't be able to tell you whether he eats anything else from his hamster mixture! So here's another question: how much does a hamster actually eat? And drink? As I hardly every see him drinking any more (neither from the bottle nor the bowl). He also doesn't really touch the food in his bowl. If I don't intervene his hoard surely will be pushing him out of his sleeping corner!
My daughter, for some reason, moved his gnawing toothbrush a few inches twice in one evening and the next time Cookie had pulled it back onto his hoard, he left a big pile of droppings on top of it . I thought the message was clear . For this time I kept a part of his hoard and will put it back into his "new" nest. The only reason I feel I have to clean the cage every two weeks is because of the bathing sand that does end up at the bottom of the cage and I do worry about mites.

We'll be going on holiday for two weeks and we booked him into a pet boarding place (part of a pet store). Unfortunately they said they would clean the cages once every week and also disinfect them. I hope I can convince them not to do anything else apart from changing the sand in the toilet and occasional spot cleaning (they claimed they do it daily). I wonder whether it's for general safety reasons as they board quite a few guinea pigs, rabbits etc. but I do worry about the stress level and prepare myself for the worst. Unfortunately most friends are on holiday themselves during that time or didn't want to committ for two weeks.
MrNibbles is offline   Reply With Quote