View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 05:48 PM  
Rodent Fan
Hamster Pup

Question Questions, questions, questions...

Hi everyone I have never owned a hamster before and am currently considering one! My previous pet experience is 2 dogs, and many many mice.

I think I am leaning towards a winter white dwarf hamster, and hopefully you guys can offer some advice, insight and opinions on a few topics I've been wondering about...

#1: If you own a winter white, how do you rate them as pets? How do they compare to other hamsters?
#2: I am considering a tank that is 75cm x 45cm. Would this be adequate space for a WW dwarf?
#3: Do WWs do well alone, or are they better off with a companion? Honestly, I would rather have just the one, and have plenty of time on my hands to offer him/her company.
#4: What bedding/litter do you usually use? For my mice I use Back 2 Nature litter (recycled paper pellets) and ripped loo roll for their nests. Would this be okay?
#5: What food do you recommend for WWs or dwarf hamsters in general?
#6:My mice love toys that they can climb, but I have seen videos of hamsters, and compared to mice, they seem clumsy, bad at climbing, and less agile (sorry hamsters, no offense). So what type of toys do they like?
#7: As dwarfs are prone to diabetes, should I avoid sugary foods? What about fruits? What treats would be good to give them?
#8: Is there any difference between males and females, in either personality or health issues?

These are all the questions I can think of for now. I am very early on in my research process, so please forgive my ignorance if the answer to some of these questions seems obvious to you. Thanks!
Rodent Fan is offline   Reply With Quote