View Single Post
Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 PM  
josiemv09
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Hamster has Mites or Fleas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy's Hamsters View Post
A vet is really your best choice. Revolution dosed by a Vet works very well for Mites, but a Vet would know the dosage to not harm the hamster. As for the cage any wooden items will need sprayed as well and a change of bedding is best done weekly or even every three days. Be sure to dump the bedding into the bin can outside or if mites they could get into flooring or carpets where extra work will be needed to evict them from your pets and home.

May attempt to ask the Petco if they would refer you to a vet and them pay the visit cost as another member had their Petco reimburse them for their ill Dwarf.

I myself used Fiproguard by Sentry sold at Petsmart in their Kitten and Cat section as it was refered to me when I dealt with Mites over a year ago now when I brought in new hamsters who were loaded with Rodent mites. My Hamstery now is Mite free and just as a precaution I spray all cages, shelves, walls, and floors once every 6 months. I like the spray because you don't need to measure anything or dilute anything and you can use a soft cloth to spray those hamsters which feel uncomfortable with the sound of the spray can. The main thing is to stay vigilant and clean cages frequently while mites are seen and at least 2 weeks after mites have gone as eggs hatch every 2 weeks give or take a day. You have to break their breeding cycle in order to completely eliminate them for good.
Thank you so much!!! I'm not even sure if he has mites...its just the scratching and biting like a dog...all the time. Right now i'm using a home remedy of diluted listerine and witch hazel and I will be applying that everyday by running my fingers through his , not soaking him. What did you mean by using a soft cloth to spray? How? Also he is on carefresh bedding at the moment...but when I do the beddimg changes once or twice a week I will be using aspen since it is cheaper..and when I know the "mites" are gone I will go back to carefresh. Is that okay? What do you think?? How can I really tell if there are mites. For sure it wasn't from my bedding. I feel so bad for him...I also think he can't see well at all.....compared to my other hamsters, oh and when you sprayed your hamsters with the petsmart solution how much did you spray? And did you do it under the belly too? And head?
josiemv09 is offline   Reply With Quote