View Single Post
Old 05-19-2016, 03:27 PM  
Cinnamon Bear
Banned

Default Re: Taming a pair of Dwarf Russians

Dwarf hammies will walk into a cup to transport to a taming bin. I use a plastic storage bin, but a play pen or a cardboard box would work too. I don't recommend bath tub taming this early. I don't put my dwarves in the bathtub. I suppose you could but would need to be careful not to use towels as their nails could get tangled. I think a fleece blanket wouldn't get their nails tangled?

Don't chase your hamster to try to pick it up. Always let them come to you. let them take the treats from you on their own accord.

I have 6 dwarves including two Russians & one WW. The Russians don't bite & one of then let's me hold him for about 30 seconds & neither one of them are comfortable with me petting them while they eat.

But Chloe, my WW hybrid is almost 2 yrs & I haven't been able to tame her. She will bite & latch on & I never gave up on her but let her eat the seeds, even sitting on my hand but I have to pull it away real fast after the food is gone

Today she let me pick her up, let her walk onto my hand then I lift her up above her cage with cupped hands. I think she may jump so I always make sure she's over her cage & not lifted too high.

Anyways, I held her tonight & was able to successfully put her down but she still tried to bite just out of instinct. She knows I won't hurt her so I have no idea why she does this?

Try to be very patient & don't give up! Don't let them bite you, but just mostly use treats to win them over. They should see you as safe & stop biting. But if one or both keep biting don't take it personally. Hope for the best with you & your hammies
Cinnamon Bear is offline   Reply With Quote