Thread: Glass tanks
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2016, 03:37 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Glass tanks

Hi. Are you in the Uk, the US or elsewhere? I'm guessing US as glass tanks are very expensive in the Uk unless you can pick up a second hand fish tank on ebay.

So yes they are good! You need a 40 gallon one - can't remember if that's a 40 gallon long tank or a 40 gallon breeder tank. There isn't a great choice of suitable sized cages in the US and they're usually very expensive, so a glass tank would be one of the cheapest options, especially if Petco are still doing their $ a gallon sale.

The other cheap option for a glass tank, if you have the space, is an Ikea detolf. It's a glass cabinet you tip on its side and leave the door off. It costs $60. But you need a clear wall for it as its 163cm long - and it needs a lid making from pieces of wood, mesh and a stapler. Unlike aquariums though, it's made of safety glass, which is good.

One of the advantages a tank has over a cage is you can have deep bedding/substrate - hammies like to burrow in bedding and 6 to 8 inches depth would be good - or even more.

I'll let someone else recommend a bottle - but some people fix it to the inside of the tank with industrial velcro

This is the detolf

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ha...5aBu0Q_AUIBigB

Someone else on here bought a glass vivarium from petsmart - I'll link that too. If the $ per gallon sale is ended and you don't have space for the detolf.

It's this one (the 36" one). It's $86 but not in stock for shipping so I guess it is pick up at a store only. I think it already comes with a mesh lid so no lid to make.

All Living Things
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote