Thread: Nipping Robo
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM  
RCalabraro
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Nipping Robo

I've had several "nippy" hamsters. If they seem curious, as opposed to aggressive, chances are they're just "tasting" you. Try to be brave and not pull away when they do this. If it's a curiosity nip, they won't hurt you. It's just counterintuitive to not reflexively pull away.

Phoenix did this to me all the time. She was very calm and affectionate, and would always come out to see me when she heard the lid come off her cage. I had to train myself not to pull away when she did this.

Keep in mind that hamsters have very bad eyesight, which means they rely more on their other senses. I think Phoenix would taste my sweat or something as a way of identification. I'm confident she never meant any harm. I'm sure if she really was being aggressive, she could put the hurt on me.

I talk softly to my hammies when I reach for them. I want them to realize it's me before I'm close enough to touch them. They might not see my hand until it's right in their faces. I've found that once they realize who is in their space, they get a lot calmer.

Ron, Brunhilda, and Gertrude
RCalabraro is offline   Reply With Quote