View Single Post
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 PM  
Atlene
Newborn Pup

Default A Newbie with some questions!

So, I'm in my early twenties and have never owned a hamster before. I've had cats, and I had a rabbit when I was 9 or 10, but that's about it. I'm currently living in a rented house in London (with friends), and the landlord is fine with me getting a small pet. I work part-time - 3 days a week - and the rest of the week do freelance stuff at home. Because the times and days of my part-time shifts change every week, its difficult to have much of a routine.

I'm thinking of getting either a Syrian, a russian dwarf, or possibly a pair of gerbils. I know Syrians are recommended for first time hamster owners, but dwarfs can be more active during the day in some cases, and I'm most often at home in the afternoon/evening. It's just that two or three nights a week, I'm not home until about 10:30 or 11pm. How well would hamsters (Syrians or dwarfs) deal with that? And, since I'm home more often during the day, and gerbils are more active during the day, does anyone here have any experience with them? What are they like compared to hamsters?

Also, I'm going through a bit of a rough time emotionally right now. I'd really like to have something to look forward to coming home and cuddling/petting/playing with/spending time with/watching. I know this is very much down to the individual personality and temperament of each animal, and I'm not expecting to be able to do any of these things to the same extent as you might with a cat or dog, but which of the three might be most likely to "be there" for me when I'm having a rough day/night? (And I don't mean "be there" as in cuddling necessarily.) Which of the three might be more likely to bond with me, or want to spend time with me?

Basically, I'm wondering which would be better suited to my lifestyle - which I would be able to give the love and attention it needs around the life I have right now.

Thanks for you help
Atlene is offline   Reply With Quote