View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 11:13 PM  
oddlyoblivious
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Genetics questions, The Why do they, or what ifs of Coat colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityvilleHams View Post
There isn't much focus on hamster breeding in general in the US.I think part of the blame falls on the whole "adopt don't shop" and breeders generally seeming to get shunned in the US,which is just a horrible thing to happen.It's sad though that people wouldn't take more initiative and make it a serious thing,but when everyone is focused on the high-profit animals such as cats,dogs,and reptiles nobody seems to care about small animals.Even then a lot of the problem is that breeders get shunned because organizations like PETA and the ASPCA present the bad scenarios as the entire reality.
PETA and the ASPCA typically go after the groups which breed indiscriminately for profit. Not to say that I always agree or disagree, but I'm not sure you could blame the lack of interest on these groups.

I think the expense of doing the hobby ''right'' probably plays a larger factor, paired with time.

Even groups like the 4-h clubs overlook Hamsters in favor of Rabbits.

I'm sure Vectis could probably chime in about the overhead aspects of a breeders association, and all the work that goes into the planing and hosting of those kinds of events.
oddlyoblivious is offline   Reply With Quote