View Single Post
Old 04-24-2016, 12:57 AM  
Kissa
Fuzzy Feet!

Default Re: What colours can you get with a yellow male?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy's Hamsters View Post
What color is Black Yellow? I am not familiar with some countries color names and many call one color by many names like UK= Melanistic Yellow for a hamster who has two genes of Black along with the yellow gene where in the USA they call the exact same color hamster a Yellow Black.
I assume "Black Yellow" is melanistic yellow/yellow black, as that's what the pedigree software I have defaults to calling it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie&Monty View Post
Hello, so I own a yellow short haired Syrian male, and I was wondering if you know what colours you got when you breed him with different coloured hamsters..

I know if you breed him with a black/black banded you can get female torts, and when breeding him with mine I got

Sable banded = Goldens
Black Yellow = Yellow

Is anyone else able to help me out finding out what other colours hes capable of making with his genes?

Thank you
Adding on from what Nancy said, it all depends on what your yellow boy carries and what the girls have/carry! And it is frowned upon to breed yellow and cream together as the cream masks the yellow and then it's then a devil to separate the two colours -- so I'd not pair your boy with creams, sables, minks, or any other colour that contains cream.

As yellow is a sex linked gene (the gene for the yellow colour is found on a sex chromosome, in this case the X chromosome), any yellow boy will produce only tort girls with a non tort female. Any other colours will depend on whether the female has a dominant (needs one copy of the gene to express) or recessive (needs two copies of the gene to express) colour/pattern, and whether there are any shared recessives with your boy.

If you pair your boy with a female that is any colour tort, all of the males will be yellow and all of the females will be golden torts unless there are shared recessive genes, or the mother also has a dominant colour/pattern gene.

If you pair your boy with a female that is yellow or any yellow combination colour (such as melanistic yellow, honey, etc), then all of the males and females will be yellow unless there are shared recessive genes, or the mother has a dominant colour/pattern gene.

If you pair your boy with a female that has a dominant colour/pattern (such as banded, dominant spot, silver grey), you will get a mixture of golden and whatever-the-female's-colour was males, and a mixture of golden tort and whatever-the-female's-colour-was tort females -- so a yellow boy and a banded golden girl will produce golden and golden banded males, and golden tort and golden tort banded females, if the female is heterozygous for banded (only has one copy of the banded gene). If the female is homozygous banded (has two copies of the banded gene), all pups will be banded.

If you pair your boy with a female that has a recessive colour/pattern (such as black, cinnamon, recessive dappled), you will only get golden males and golden tort females (that will carry copies of the recessive genes from their mother) unless your boy also carries a copy of the recessive gene. For example if your boy carries black and is mated to a black female, you will get black and golden (carrying black) males, and black tort and golden tort (carrying black) females. If your boy doesn't carry black, he will only produce golden (carrying black) males and golden tort (carrying black) females with a black girl.

If you pair your boy with a female that is a colour produced by more than one recessive gene (dove, chocolate, etc), you will only get golden males and golden tort females (that will carry copies of the recessive genes from their mother) unless your boy also carries a copy of one or both of the recessive genes common with the mother. For example, if your boy carries both black and cinnamon, mating him to a dove female will produce dove, cinnamon (carrying black), black (carrying cinnamon) and golden (carrying black and cinnamon) boys, and dove tort, cinnamon tort (carrying black), black tort (carrying cinnamon) and golden tort (carrying black and cinnamon) girls. If he only carries black, he will produce black (carrying cinnamon) and golden (carrying black and cinnamon) boys, and black tort (carrying cinnamon) and golden tort (carrying black and cinnamon) girls.

It is much more complex than saying "If I pair my yellow hamster to a blue hamster I will get green hamsters"!

As an aside to all this, hamsters do not like to follow the probabilities of what pups they will produce -- you will not get a yellow boy and a golden girl producing a silver grey pup, but you might get all golden males and golden tort females from a pairing with a black female even if your yellow boy does carry black and can produce black males and black tort females with that female!

Last edited by souffle; 04-25-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Kissa is offline   Reply With Quote