Thread: Hedgehogs?
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 11:19 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Hedgehogs?

I know some basic things about them.From what I know,they're not very fond of being held but some can be tamed similar to hamsters.They're mostly insectivores I believe,and you have to feed them a high quality diet with lots of insects included so if insects make you squeamish it isn't a good idea.In terms of wheels,the best option is a bucket wheel which you may be able to get DIY'd for you but there are some different hedgehog groups and websites that have information on how to do that and it seems fairly simple!They do need a lot of space too,and can be housed on the same substrate as hamsters(no pine(even if kiln dried)or cedar,and no fluffy cotton wool things etc)but that's about all I remember so far.Definitely look into hedgehog groups and such since this is of course a hamster forum and it might be hard to find information here!Definitely possible to find good resources for wheels and things though,so hopefully others have resources for Ireland that'll help even more.

Did a bit of searching,and the cage would have to be quite large(3 feet by 2 feet or 91.44 cm by 60.96 cm)so probably a DIY cage of some sort.It also needs to be very short,so a large rat cage wouldn't be a good idea by being too small in most cases and too narrow most of the time as well as far too tall for a hedgehog.You'd need a high quality food that is all animal protein based which isn't easy to find.They are not herbivores or anything like that,they are naturally insectivores!

Last edited by AmityvilleHams; 04-21-2016 at 11:30 AM.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote