View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 05:47 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Aquarium tank hamster cage, levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
I have shelves made from solid pine in our hamster's cage - it's better than plywood really as some plywood can use a lot of fumy glues. I did ask someone once why solid pine was ok and shavings aren't and it's something to do with the amount of surface area I think. With shavings there is a lot of surface area exposed - every shaving has two sides. You can also seal/waterproof a wood shelf with something petsafe. Most Rodipet houses are made of birch plywood (birch is a good wood) but they use petsafe glue in their manufacture.

Ikea Knuff shelves are fine too though.
It is the surface area!In comparison they release less phenols,and it makes sense too since pine toys and shelves and such tend to have a lot less pine-y scent to them than actual substrate does.

I've contemplated something for a while though in regards to Ikea items as shelves.If they are just birch plywood,they're probably safe,but if there is heavy chewing and they have the particle board type material Ikea things often have it might not be a good idea.Not sure on that though as I don't know much about the Knuff or what it's made from,but if it is just birch plywood it's a great idea
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote