View Single Post
Old 04-15-2016, 04:23 AM  
Vectis Hamstery

Default Re: What do you feed your hamsters:

I feed 1/2 to 2/3 base mix with the rest of the mix being my own additions.

My current base mix is Mayfield which I've used for a few years. I tried others over the years including Burgess dwarf (a bit too millet heavy for my purposes), Harry (nice but a little too rich with my additions and too many big bits for my hams' liking) and Best Pets (didn't suit my hams in maintaining condition). I wouldn't feed Mayfield without additions though, whereas if I run low on my extra additions I'd feed Harry plain until the delivery arrives.

The extras I use are: mixed millet, dari seeds, hemp seeds, linseed, oats/pinhead oatmeal, kitten kibble, pigeon conditioner and budgie tonic seed. I don't add all of these each time I mix up a batch - it depends on the season and my hams' condition.

As well as the mix, my hams all get dog biscuits and a scatter mix of dried veg. According to need they also get wet cat food, chicken, pasta, rice, mealworms, porridge, boiled hen/quail eggs, tofu, kitten kibble (if not in the mix) and veg. I also make a pick-me-up scatter mix for youngsters, mums just off litters or those who need extra condition which has mealworms, pigeon conditioner, budgie tonic seed, EMP and a few suet pellets.

My Ratrations order arrived this week so I have bags of seeds everywhere!