View Single Post
Old 04-10-2016, 07:03 AM  
AmityvilleHams
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Up To Date Diet Tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Glad it made you giggle. I wouldn't bother ordering Burgess for a Syrian. I think it might have gone downhill a bit. The dwarf hamster version is popular though. I tried a bag for Charlie but it had too many little itty bitty bits in and not enough large pieces - I wasn't too impressed. I've tried Charlie with all kinds of things but the only thing he seems to really like is Harry Hamster! I was trying to find a mix without GM Soya, but have given up, and maybe it's not that bad anyway. I tried a JR Farms one that had animal protein and no soya (the protein was a bit low and it needed supplementing) but it smelt foul lol! Charlie turned his nose up at it. I guess even some animal proteins can be low quality.

The Rodipet hamster mixes are good and include dried grasshoppers and things, and they have different mixes for young hamsters and hamsters over a year old. They also come in sealable plastic tubs. They are supposed to be good quality, but the only thing is you never get a full list of ingredients, just a description of some of the contents. I kept meaning to switch over to it, but ended up just using it as a supplementary feed as during the switchover, Charlie would eat the HH and leave the Rodipet food.

I think this thread is useful for US owners. I actually don't think there is an ideal mix and everything is a bit of a compromise, but mixes with added sugar and molasses aren't good.

Can you get Versele Laga in the US - some of those are supposed to be quite good.
It's popular in Canada,but Higgins is the best mix available in the US.It is a compromise with the cane molasses,but personally I don't see it being a major problem for a Syrian at least as long as no additional added sugars are being given in terms of unhealthy storebought treats and such.

Also,I do not believe in feeding extruded pellets or lab blocks on their own as a main diet as they are not providing enough variety on their own.Plus,the fact that the ingredients for the food aren't even listed just makes me run away quickly and say no right away.I would never purchase anything without knowing every single ingredient.

Last edited by AmityvilleHams; 04-10-2016 at 07:09 AM.
AmityvilleHams is offline   Reply With Quote