View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 05:55 PM  
pinkneon
Pink Glittery Hamsters

Question I don't know what to do?

I just wondered if it is possible for a hamster to not know how to store and hide food? The only reason I'm asking is because anytime Sweep eats, it's always from his bowl. Sometimes if I've not seen him at all during the day then I lift his house up to check he's ok, and each time I spot clean I notice he has no food stored anywhere in his cage. I'm starting to worry he's not eating enough. With all hamsters I've ever had I've always made sure there is food in the bowl before I go to bed so they don't go hungry, however with Sweep I've noticed that food will stay in his bowl for several days at a time. He does eat from it, because I've seen him. But he eats only a couple of bits then goes off to do something else. I tried to follow the "tough love" approach mentioned on one of Erin's videos about fussy eating - so not refilling the bowl until it is empty to help them learn to eat everything and not just their favorite bits, but I'm wondering if I should stop doing that because the food is hardly touched. I don't put a lot in the bowl anyway. I ordered some little scoops online, and when they came they were tiny! But I tend to give him about a scoopful at a time, which doesn't look like much when I scoop it, but his bowl isn't massive and it fills it to just under half way. BUT that food seems to still be there a few days later. I've only given him really really tiny amounts of fruit and veg til now, and not every day. But sometimes he doesn't even eat that! Yesterday I tried some baby porridge but he didn't eat that either so I left him a toilet roll tube folded at both ends with a couple of treats in, and he hadn't even touched that. At first I thought maybe he didn't know how to get into it as he's never had one before so I opened one end but it was still untouched. I haven't seen him all day so woke him up a little earlier and he wasn't interested in any food. He didn't even take the monkey nut I'd left him last night. Now I know from checking that he isn't storing his food ...
The problem is, this isn't a new thing. I've had Sweep almost 2 weeks now and it's been like this most of the time. He'll eat only a few bits out of his bowl and then it's still sitting there a couple of days later. I don't like leaving it in his bowl too long so always throw it out after 2 days and put new food in. I haven't changed his diet at all. He was on Harry Hamster at the shop and that is what he is on now.
I tried scattering some around the cage too, but that doesn't appear to have been touched either! I think he's drinking ok though. He has also stopped digging which he loved so much!
I'm wondering if I should take him to the vet? I don't usually go to bed much before 3 or 4am, but he hardly comes out before then, and when he does he plays on his wheel for about a minute then goes back to bed ... I'm really worried about him and don't know what to do!!!
pinkneon is offline   Reply With Quote