View Single Post
Old 03-19-2016, 01:12 PM  
climber008
Adult Hamster

Default Re: Hammy Weight Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher View Post
If she's eating well & still losing weight then there's something wrong somewhere & just giving more food isn't going to help.
What do you mean by a huge selection of foods?
Is she eating a good basic mix? That should make up most of what she eats with the addition of a small piece of veg daily. In addition something like a small piece of chicken maybe a couple of times a week & a nut or two, or a few extra sunflower or pumpkin seeds would be healthy but they don't actually need more than that to be healthy.
mealworms are quite high in protein & can be fairly high in fat too so if your ham was lacking nutrients then yes, if she would eat them they could help but if she's already eating enough of the right things then it won't make much difference, there's only so much a ham will eat in one day.
How much weight is she losing?
If you really do think she's eating well & still losing weight I'd be inclined to get her checked over by a vet.

She is eating all the "normal" foods that a hammy should eat. Veggies, meat, hay, and her normal pellets and seeds.

I am beginning to think that she may be losing this weight because she used to be so --ergh, plump-- beforehand.

I was reading up on weight loss, and I heard that if you feel a hammy's backbone, then they are underweight; but I can not feel Kornelia's backbone.

I do remember thinking that I had never seen a hammy quite so large when I first got her, however, I will continue to viligantly moniter her in case of any health problems.