View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 05:06 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Best food for a Syrian?

Harry hamster is fine - Syrian hamsters seem to like the large pieces. I believe added vitamins isn't recommended for various reasons. Most people use a good basic mix like Harry hamster and supplement - eg a very small piece of veg each day - thumbnail sized or 1cm cubed size whichever is easier to imagine! I rotate it between broccoli, carrot, cucumber, baby corn or the occasional cooked pea I try and give him a different one each day for variety - either raw, or cooked if we've had some for dinner. But no gravy or anything.

I also give him an 'extra' each day - either a small piece of cheese (again these are thumbnail sized pieces), half a brazil nut (not too often), a healthy hamster treat (on special occasions he'll get a Rosewood shrimp cookie ), a small piece of apple or banana, half a pecan nut, occasionally a piece of plain cooked chicken or beef if we've had it (again no gravy or sauces). Harry Hamster already has monkey nuts in but I sometimes give him one if he hasn't had one in his bowl for a while.

They also like porridge and scrambled egg. I only tend to give a bit of scrambled egg on a teaspoon if we're making it for ourselves. Porridge again on a teaspoon, but after they are cooled down to almost cold. I hold the teaspoon out in the cage and Charlie smells it and comes and gets it He grabs the spoon with both paws. I only started doing this recently after hearing about other peoples hamsters enjoying it. I thought it might be messy but it isn't - Charlie licks every last bit off the spoon - he does pick chunks up with his paws as well but licks his paws afterwards.

Some of the healthy hamster treats I give as an extra are - the oat parcels from Zooplus, the Rosewood Shrimp cookies or little hearts, a dandelion root (in a bag from Zooplus). He also always has a chew stick on the go - usually the Rosewood dandelion ones or mini rodent ones.

I have some organic marigold petals, mini rosebud petals and cornflowers as well and sometimes sprinkle 3 or 4 of these in the cage. They look nice, smell faintly nice and they can eat them.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote