Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2016, 10:28 AM  
Cinnamon Bear
Banned

Default Re: Need help

I can help with food maybe? Pet-Co's best food is Sunburst Higgins seed mix & Mazuri Rat & Mouse lab blocks (although that's debatable because it's high in protein and low in fiber)

I personally like Kaytee Forti-Diet lab blocks (healthy support diet) you can get that from almost any pet store. Pet Smart sells Vita/Kraft Vita/Smart & sometimes Vita/Nature, I like Vita/Smart better (seems more recommended for probiotics).

For a house you could use a medium sized plastic igloo found at pet stores, if your cage doesn't work out the pet stores often have $1.00/gal tank sales & a 40 gal breeder tank is recommended for a Syrian. 20 gal in minimum but in my opinion its' ok for a dwarf but too small for a Syrian.

You could also make a bin cage which would be 110 qt minimum I take the top to a hardware store and cut out the majority of the lid and attach mesh with zip ties, they usually have all the materials at the store & the price with labor cost me $13.50. Or you could check out You Tube Videos on how to make a bin cage and make it yourself if your good at things like that? This is only info if you find your current cage isn't going to work

You can attach a water bottle with either Velcro or a metal bottle holder hanging over the top of the bin.

As for a wheel I would highly recommend the Silent Runner 12 in wheel that can be ordered directly from exoticnutrition.com and if you type in YUMMIE in the promotion code I believe you can still get 10 % off you order and they ship it to you priority mail. They also sell a 9 in Silent Runner wheel but for a Syrian the bigger the wheel the better.

There are other wheels but I'd avoid the 6.5 in Silent Spinner (too small) & the comfort wheel is too noisy 8.5 in & also too small. The flying saucers tip over.

As for substrate I like Carefresh paper bedding as there is basically no odor & I change my 20 gal tanks every 3-4 weeks & I have 4 of them in the same room with no odor.

Aspen wood shavings also work, avoid Pine, Cedar or mixed wood products as these often contain pine and is not good for their respiratory systems.

To avoid the possibility of mite eggs I always freeze my hamster food at least 3 days before using it and whatever you don't need right away can be stored in the freezer in freezer bags.
Cinnamon Bear is offline   Reply With Quote