View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 03:11 PM  
RubyDG
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Can you change their sleep????

I agree with Coco and Lexieshamster. Your best bet is to stick to a routine. Routine is important for hamsters and they do seem happier with a schedule. They'll learn when dinner or playtime is and so on . I feed my hamster at 18:30pm every night and if I'm late he gets up and lets me know about it . Generally waking them up and disturbing them in their nest is not a good idea, especially during the day, as it can make them very stressed. However I;m going to be a little controversial and say you can try waking him in the evening with a treat like a piece of veg at the same time eveyday when you put his food out and after a few weeks he may just naturally get up at that time. Doesn't always work though so keep that in mind. I have done the treat thing with mine to the point where if I do need to disturb him in his nest for whatever reason even outside his feeding time the sleepy little fluff monster sticks his head up with his mouth open for his treat while still having his eyes closed! I'm in big trouble if I bother him without something tasty as payment

I am however going to stress that you do need to use common sense with this. Hamsters have their own little personalities and each is going to react in a different way. Mine is very laid back so doesn't mind me bothering him in his nest but many hamsters may react badly and get stressed by being disturbed which is why it's said to never to wake them up or disturb them. You are going to know Elmo best so need to decide if you want to try this method. If he's not accepting of being woken up then you're going to have to stick to just putting his food out at a set time and leaving him to come out on his own. Personally though if you can get him used to you checking on him in his nest it's helpful because there are going to be times when you need to and it's better if this is something that doesn't upset him.

Regardless since he's not tame yet I would leave him be and just start with putting his food out at the same time every night, make a good amount of noise doing it (don't scare him though ), just don't be shy about making noise so you know he can hear you inside his house, shake his food bag etc. He'll eventually learn what time dinner is and you can work from there once he's more used to you

Also just to add since you've just gotten Elmo watch how quickly you introduce veg and fruit to his diet as if he gets too much too soon he could get an upset stomach. Plus while Syrians aren't prone to diabetes like the dwarf hamsters too much sugar is not good for them so things like honey treats and fruit should be kept to a minimum.

Hope that's a little helpful - sorry I seem to have written an essay . Just keep in mind some hamsters are easier to get into routine than others and unfortunately there are some where you just have to accept they're going to get up when they feel like it and that's that.