Thread: Need help
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 06:06 AM  
RubyDG
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Need help

I saw your picture of him in your other thread, what a cutie . He looks like a long haired Syrian.

It does look like you're going to need to upgrade his cage and wheel as soon as you are able though. I can't tell the size of the cage from the picture but it's not recommended to have anything smaller than 80cm x 40cm. This minimum does vary from country to country but honestly you are going to find once he has the appropriate sized wheel and everything else in there that he needs anything less than 80cm is just too small. Personally I'd go for something at least 100cm. I know you are in the US so I'll leave the members that are from there to recommend suitable cages. From what I've heard it can be a bit of a pain sourcing decent cages for hamsters in the US, many go for tanks instead. One cage I can recommend which you can get where you are is the Detolf, which is actually pretty cheap in comparison to other cages. This is a display cabinet from Ikea that can be turned on it's back and used as a tank style cage. It is quite long though so many people find they don't have the space for it. You do also need to make a lid for it but that's actually very easy. If you do an internet search you'll find a lot of information on it. Here's a youtube review on it if you're interested Detolf Review. There is also a video on how to make the lid Detolf Lid, although I would suggest doing your own measurements. I can recommended the youtuber who made the video review as well - she is very experienced and has fantastic hamster videos.

The other thing is the wheel. Unfortunately the wheel you have is not suitable as it needs to have a solid running surface. Hamsters are susceptible to something called Bumblefoot, basically if the wheel is not solid he is going to damage his feet. As a temporary measure you can line the inside of his current wheel with duct tape, just watch to make sure he doesn't chew the tape. The wheel also needs to be the right size so that when he is running his back is completely straight. If it's not it will lead to spinal problems. For a Syrian you will need a wheel of 11 inches / 28cm. Some very small Syrians can get away with an 8 inch wheel but this is not common and not much point buying a small wheel only to have to buy a bigger one later. Even if he turns out to be a very small hamster a bigger wheel will still be suitable.

As the previous poster stated avoid cedar shavings for beddings. Here is another helpful video from ErinsAnimals on safe bedding ( a bit lazy on my part but I think it's better than me explaining it ). You are going to have to be careful with what bedding you use as if he is a long haired hamster then as a male he will likely grow a 'skirt' as he gets older and certain types of bedding can get tangled in his hair.

I hope the above was helpful. Everyone here is very supportive so don't be afraid to ask loads of questions

Last edited by RubyDG; 02-27-2016 at 06:14 AM.
RubyDG is offline   Reply With Quote