View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 09:25 AM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Has anyone ever made their own hamster food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Hamstery View Post
I use a commercial base mix and add in straight seeds and other additions. The recipe has changed over time, but I've been using a similar one for the last few years and have had hams here eat it from pups in the nest to going to rainbow bridge. It's not 'scientific' but it suits my lot. I vary the proportions of additions depending on time of year and the hams' condition. I also found that feeding a good amount only a couple of times a week reduced pickiness no end (for adult hams not in need of chubbying up - not for babies or poorly hams).
I recommend new pet owners of my hams feed a good quality commercial mix rather than trying to replicate my mix.
James seemed to like the food that you gave me when I picked him up and he'd eat all of it. He's got Harry Hamster at the moment as my other Chineseys had really gone off of Burgess but I notice he's leaving a few of the bigger bits and refusing to eat them.

I don't know whether it's worth trying him with a dwarf mix, just breaking up the bigger bits in the hope that he might eat them or trying to make my own mix?
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote