View Single Post
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM  
Nancy's Hamsters
ST's Hamstery

Default Re: Has anyone ever made their own hamster food?

Hekomi does her own mix BUT also adds Tekland blocks to assure the hamsters all are getting proper nutrients that may be lacking in the home made mix. I also do this but I also to assure that all needed nutrients are included mix into my mix both a commercial dry Hamster mix, and use a generic version of Tekland blocks.

Problems I have faced with doing my own mix is Often the mill is out of a needed ingredient, and the #1 problem is when I sell any pups as the new owner can't duplicate the exact food I feed so all pups MUST go to their new homes with a large size bag of my homemade mix so the new owner can slowly remove them from my mix and on to their chosen mix. Often when switched the hamsters don't thrive as well. And example would be the Mel Yellow Band girl I got from Hekomi. Jaffita never did as well after the supply of Hekomi's mix ran out. Jaffita lost weight, and refused to eat any other food(except I did convince her to eat the blocks) Because of this she never reached her full potential and failed to ever reproduce any litters. Her full sister adjusted quite fine to my food and thrived. This is one reason I use a commercial Hamster food along with my own mix.