Thread: My sweetie
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2016, 12:35 PM  
fuzzyfriendly
Newborn Pup

Default Re: My sweetie

I think clicker training (with dogs at least) is really not about being a boss or an authority figure. It's mostly about building trust, learning how to communicate, working and playing together. It works great on dogs that have been previously mistreated by this whole "alpha/dominance/corrections" theory.

But I see your point. I guess sometimes I feel totally lost and I want to return to what I know. But I need to keep in mind that hamsters, as you have said, are solitary creatures. And because they are pretty low on the food chain, I guess some of the nervousness will always be there. I will try to enrich her environment according to what you have said, because it does make perfect sense.

We are still not to the point of her coming onto my hand, when I put it near her. She always checks if there is something on my hand. And if I have a seed or a piece of vegetable on my hand, she will usually stay on it and nibble at least for a little while. Depends on how hard I'm shaking from excitement . If I stroke her, while she does that, she doesn't seem to mind. We are still working on, "Come and I will take you to wonderful places" . For now let me share this video. I know I'm biased but I think she is totally cute. By the way I was filming her while i was lying on my stomach very close to her. I really do appreciate that she didn't just ran away with the seed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoWxp0q_HFI
fuzzyfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote