Thread: Best food?
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 12:18 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: Best food?

Finding good food for dwarf hams in the US isn't easy I know, a lot of people have a bit of a problem & I'm not really up to speed with what is or isn't available there, I keep forgetting sorry!
Your ham will be a hybrid Russian as she's come from a pet store, this means she does have the potential to develop diabetes so you do need to take extra care to avoid sugars, actual sugar or natural sugars, in her diet so no fruit, very little if any of the sweeter veg like carrot, potato or squash.
Dwarf hams do tend to enjoy a mix with small seeds but you could use oxbow as a part of her diet, although a bit low in protein as most mixes/pellets are it is otherwise a good food, if you can hunt out a good mix to go with it she should do well with that.
Avoid any treats with sugar, honey or fruit & stick to natural foods like millet, sunflower, pumpkin & other seeds, mealworms for treats. Monkey nuts & very small pieces of other nuts once in a while are fine & tiny pieces of chicken once or twice a week give a good protein boost too.
Hope that helps a bit.
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote