Thread: My sweetie
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 AM  
cypher
Dwarf whisperer

Default Re: My sweetie

Love the name!

They don't eat very much really but I've found all my dwarfs do better with a mix designed for them rather than Harry Hamster, the biscuit bits can be a bit big for them & it doesn't really seem to appeal to them much.
Good dwarf mixes include Burgess super hamster dwarf hamster harvest which is readily available, JR farms dwarf hamster food & Bunny dream dwarf mix both available from Zooplus.
Mine rarely if ever hoard fresh food, as long as you only give a little they usually just eat it but keep an eye out just in case.
I'd go easy on the carrot & squash as they are quite sweet, try more green veg introducing them slowly & experimenting to see what she enjoys, they can be prone to diabetes so it's best to avoid sweeter veg, fruit & sugary treats if possible.
Have you tried her with mealworms? They generally go mad for those & one or two a day will give her a good protein boost.
I prefer to scatter feed but you might want to try to find a few places in the cage where you can hide it so she still has to hunt for it rather than just taking it from a bowl but you can still see what does or doesn't get taken to begin with.
It sounds as though she's doing fine & if you keep up the taming/getting her used to you with small steps the way you are I'm sure you'll be the best of friends in no time at all
❤️
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote