View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 05:12 AM  
Hambobs
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hector: The Blurry Bobble

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfairy View Post
Awww he is so teeny and cute. My two roborovskis are still very wary of my hands and vanish as soon as I try to get a hand into their cages. (They live separately). I would LOVE to be able to stroke them.

Did it take you long to get him to take treats/let you stroke him?
It took about a month before he accepted the stroking without scuttling away. I think he's quite food-oriented for a Robo, which did help - he was too eager to scoff his treat to run away and hide first!

I find the most valuable tool for taming any dwarf hamster is a snuggle pouch (used to be able to get them on Amazon but now eBay seems to be the best online option. Some pet shops may also stock them..) You coax them into the pouch, then place it on your lap and let them come out and explore in their own time (can take a while). Handle them for short periods while letting them run back to the pouch when they need to, so they feel they have a safe place.

It can take months, but I've been able to tame all of my dwarfs this way (Chinese, Russian, Robo) to the point where they are tame enough to be picked up out of the cage, which I like to do, as it makes rounding them up for cleaning or vet visits that much easier

RIP: Charlie, Harry, Sam, Sasha, Pipstick, Blake, Dexter, Bodie, Bolt, Lucas and Hector...
Hambobs is offline   Reply With Quote