View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 05:18 AM  
Coco61
GrannyHam

Default Re: Please can someone advise?

Soufflé has given excellent advice here. I had my Syrian in a HH for 6 months this year (then bought a larger cage )and my daughter has one too. Neither of us have used the penthouse or tubes. Use the blockers supplied to fill the holes in the top. Some owners like the penthouse and you could add it later. Personally the lack of ventilation etc means I never used it. A wooden house or cardboard like soufflé says is far better. A tea bag box will do for a baby. Cut out the bottom and a doorway but leave the top so that you can peep inside without disturbing her.
The HH comes with a good potty. Although Mocho has moved to a barney cage his potty went too. The Savic 8inch wheel will be too small in time as I think you realise. The pink pods too. Watch those ladders in case she finds them slippery. in Fact if you become a regular on HC you will probably want to design your own interior in time!
Finally please do not make the mistake of cleaning out too often. This really stresses a hamster but particularly a baby trying to make the home their own. Watch out for the pee corner/use of potty and clean there perhaps twice a week. Otherwise leave well alone. Hamsters need their smell around to be happy. If you keep removing it by cleaning the cage, then they go around scenting everything again. I am about to clean Mocho after 2 months. I will remove only about a third of his Fitch substrate, check his nest but try and leave it undisturbed. New Fitch can be mixed with the old as it is returned. Then a peace offering will be a pile of plain white toilet paper torn into strips so that he can repair any nest damage and make himself snug again.
Do ask any more questions that you have. There is always someone to help
Welcome again!
Coco61 is offline   Reply With Quote