View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 01:09 AM  
Bertiebobbins
Hamster Overlord

Default Re: Hand taming - advice please

Definitely take your time and go slowly, if you try and force it you'll most likely just end up with a scared and timid hamster. I imagine having a bit more space might help her settle, one of mine is very high energy and having more space helped him no end.

With regard to sitting with your hand in the cage when your little one is at school is that hamsters should be asleep in the daytime and they're best not disturbed as it can shorten their lifespan and really annoy them. You really need to wait until she's up and about of her own accord, which will probably be later on in the evening and /or first thing in the morning. When she moves into the new cage she will need a few days left alone to acclimatise aswell.

You can manipulate their waking hours a little within their natural habits by doing the same things at the same times each day such as changing the water every morning at 7am and doing food or offering a treat at 6pm. Mine were on pet shop time and obviously had been used to a similar routine before we got them as they always appear around these times which is handy as otherwise my daughter would never see them as she would be in bed any later!

Otherwise, it really is time. Two weeks is no time at all and personally I found the taming process to be a good learning tool for my daughter as she had to work on their terms not her own and learned they are not toys, they have their own wants, needs and whims. Both of ours were pretty tame when we got them, one is more of a timid chap who has turned out to be so cuddly my daughter can full on hug him and he just comes back for more, whereas the other one is fast and furious and won't sit still for a minute and although I can hold him and pick him up easily, she can't hold him even in a bowl or something as he's like trying to hold jelly lol! But he is friendly and entertaining and she plays with him by interacting with him while he's having his free ranging playtime in the living room as he will march right up to her to see what's what.

I think there is a time with every new hamster when you think "oh no he/she will never be tame!" And four weeks later you can't even remember that!
Bertiebobbins is offline   Reply With Quote