View Single Post
Old 12-24-2015, 01:47 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: changing bedding help

I`m with Bertiebobbins. Never do full cage cleans, only spot clean daily, or remove a good few handfuls and replace with fresh every few weeks. No need to empty the full cage contents unless the hamster (usually a Syrian) has diagnosed wet tail and even then, not while the hamster is actually ill/being treated as the stress of moving them to clean out their cage could worsen symptoms. Only the smelly/wet parts should be removed and the areas wiped down. Hamsters like their own scent around. So if the substrate and bedding are constantly replenished, it disturbs their whole karma. Food stashes are also important as they hidden food stashes are their little nest eggs! So unless you have fresh veg or anything fresh, these are the only things that can turn mouldy quickly so any un eaten stuff should be removed the same day.

The only Supreme bedding product I use is Cosi n Dri. It`s a much better product than Carefresh and far less dusty, although I`m not too sure if they have discontinued the product or not. Google it anyway and compare online prices, but it can be bought through good high street pet shops sometimes. x