Thread: Cruel or not?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 02:16 PM  
DrKMcK
Retired Moderator

Default Re: Cruel or not?

I've been lucky with my hams. My Ted E. Bear, Almond, and Nutmeg have all gone to the Bridge, but they all had movable hours. They would wake up an hour or so earlier each day until they were daytime hammies. Then they would continue the wake up 1 hour earlier routine until they were back to night hammies. I enjoyed this most when they were daytime furries because I could have them out in the playpens for a couple of hours. They had food, water and hideys in the pen.
My newest hammies, Tim E. and Laddie are very late night, 1-3 am, hammies, although Tim E stays up until around 9-10 am. Laddie will be up and down throughout the day.
Routine feeding does help a hammy to wake up earlier. So does the "accidental" bump. I will bump the cage, not very hard, and see if hammy comes out. If they don't, I leave them alone. A startled hamster can bite pretty hard. It's out of fear, so don't try handling a sleeping ham. Also, picking up a hammy's home can make them very mistrustful. That's their safe place.
I also try not to pick a hammy up to get the hammy out of his/her cage to play when they are awake. I prefer to train them to either walk out of the cage door on their own, or have them walk into a container or a cup. It should always be the hammy's choice to come out and play or not. This kind of respect makes for nice tame hammies.
Hope this is helpful.