View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 08:32 AM  
racinghamster
PM Fluffy for custom title

Default Re: Maddie Won't Chew!

Hi NessaDale. I hope the tooth trim goes okay and doesn`t cause her too much stress, but if her lower teeth are growing too long, they will stop her eating and she will gradually lose weight. Some hamsters just don`t chew a lot, while some will keep gnawing on things until it`s destroyed!

Diet: Normally, a hamster`s food will keep their teeth in good order as they use their front incisors to nibble down food and then use their back molars to `chew`, just as we do. Sometimes front teeth can be misaligned or don`t meet properly. Ask your vet to check this although I`m sure they will do.

Once the teeth are trimmed, she may or may not want to bite down on anything too big or too hard right away, so break up anything hard like extruded biscuits (usually don`t get eaten by hamsters) but it helps to break them into smaller pieces all the same.

Soak/wet biscuits for her to manage them better. Using a small piece of bonio might help or you can mash this with crushed nuts and sunflower seeds to taste nutty and keep her appetite going. It`s all about getting her to eat and to maintain her body weight. A pestle & mortar is a great took, I use mine a lot.

What age is she? x