View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 10:21 AM  
Jenibelle
Hamster Overlord

Default Breeding in the USA - ethics?

Hia all.

Please note that although I am very, very lightly considering this right now, I wouldn't be breeding for MANY more years (if ever). I don't even have my first hamster, yet! lol

It is this search for a hamster that has got me thinking, though. I have looked for breeders high and low near me, but I can not seem to find one. I really dislike purchasing animals from pet shops, but it seems to be the only readily available option. There are a few here and there sprinkled throughout shelters (as expected - where there are pet stores, there will be people who impulse buy to then rehome), but the only place to actually purchase a hamster is through the shops. From what I've seen, the local pet shop hamsters are not very tame. This is also to be expected, when they are merely considered "product". I've seen videos of the suppliers for our pet shops, and they are heart breaking </3 If I were brought up in that environment, I wouldn't be very friendly at all either.

To be very clear: I am horrid with genetics. I would learn the basics to ensure that I didn't accidentally breed two hamsters that could result in eyeless whites, for example. But other than for health reasons, I honestly wouldn't care about colors and what not. If I were to breed, my only goal would to get happy, healthy pet quality hamsters who are hand tamed. I would be very picky with their new homes, and I would make sure they would get the best possible care. I would not be like a pet-store where anyone with money could simply pick one up.

I know in other countries where hamster breeders are established this would sound like a horrible game plan. But in America, there just doesn't seem like there are /any/ options other than pet-stores, and I know there are many people who dislike supporting shops.

Would the goal of providing happy, healthy, tamed pet hamsters (without supporting pet shops) be "enough" in this sort of situation to justify breeding? Or would this sort of plan still be considered irresponsible?

I do want honest opinions ^.^
Jenibelle is offline   Reply With Quote