View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 06:04 PM  
zany_toon
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Could it be diabetes?

Thanks both for the replies, and I'm sorry I didn't reply in turn sooner!

Cypher - Flump isn't on antibiotics at present as I have opted to draw the abscesses out with a hot compress. Flump isn't impressed but it seems to be helping clear them away once they have burst and been cleaned out. I will try doin as you suggested and take a fresh sample of wee up to the vets for them to look at as although I can easily figure out how to use the diagnostic tabs I am not sure what readings would indicate that he definitely has diabetes or not I hadn't even given probiotics a thought so I will get Flump started on them anyway as I'm sure a little immune system boost will be helpful to him, and I will also check out Vectis' website - thank you

RM, if you remember what you read in that article please let me know as Laura the vet was struggling to find anything relating to articles or studies on the dwarf hamsters. As for his scent gland it does seem a bit mucky, but given where the abscesses are my assumption is that some of them are bursting into the scent gland as there is hardly any distance between them. It doesn't appear to be tumours as they don't feel hard like a tumour. It is a shame that he has developed this, especially as I was just getting him to the stage that i could pick him up!! We're back to using a glove for pick ups but once he is out his cage and I'm finished sorting him out he will still let me stroke him, so at least I'm not back to square one. I will need to post photos of him once he is set up in his new cage