Thread: Arthritis?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 03:05 AM  
Angie B
Adult Hamster

Question Arthritis?

Hi, our Syrian, Skittle, is about 18 months old and has an appointment with the vet tomorrow evening.

However, I was just wondering, has anyone ever heard of/dealt with arthritis in hamsters? He just seems a bit stiff in his back end/legs. He was in his ball last night but didn't seem to be enjoying it or moving around in it as normal so I took him out after only 5 minutes but then on the floor he was fine, and even put a bit of a spurt on running here and there, but mostly just walked, which is normal. His walk is more exaggerated than normal, his bum waggles a bit more if you understand. He can still get up (and down) his vertical tunnel okay, does that quite quickly actually because I watched him, but he has a shelf in his lower cage which he kind of falls off rather than climbs off, and is a bit stiff/struggles to get onto - although it has stairs he has never used them as they're open stairs and I don't think he likes them.

I think it's arthritis but as I say I'm popping him to the vet tomorrow anyway, but was just wondering if you lovely people had any ideas? He's eating and drinking, weeing and pooping fine, he's not squealing or anything, has no lumps or bumps that I can find in his back end (the vet will no doubt do a better examination than me).

Thanks
Angie B is offline   Reply With Quote