View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 09:54 AM  
Bertiebobbins
Hamster Overlord

Default 100cm Barney refiew

Thought I'd post this as the other Barney review is for the 80cm one, and it has since been updated to be 100cm long.

Both my hams have a Barney cage. The dimensions at the widest point is 100 x 50 x 45cm (LxWxH). I got them from Zooplus, the regular price is £59.99 but it's often on offer for £49.99 which includes free delivery. This a good quality, well priced cage I'd highly recommend.

Firstly, the cage comes in a whacking great box, which doubles as a handy hamster playpen for taming! The mesh arrives complete as it doesn't fold away for storage.

The cage comes with a wooden platform, ramp and a decent sized wooden corner house with a door big enough for a Syrian, which is quite unusual for a cage specifically for hamsters! (Shown in Glowy's cage, Nibble has a different house). The wood isn't treated, so you might want to plastikote it (I didn't). The cage also comes with a decent sized wheel which would be fine for a baby Syrian or a dwarf (8" ish). Again, this is unusual for a hamster size cage, and great as a starter option. I can't comment on the quality of the wheel as my hams both have other, bigger wheels.

The bar spacing is 7mm, so would be suitable for bigger dwarfs and Syrians. The bar quality is really good, and there are no big gaps which might let out a small ham. The mesh on the top door overlaps the cage wires so no gaps there.

It comes with two plastic handles to attach to the cage top, and two clips to attach the wire to the base. The cage has fittings on the base which the long sides clip into securely, so you only need two clips on the short sides. It's pretty heavy to lift around once you have the ham and all accoutrements installed, you'd need two people to lift the whole thing really so it's certainly not a portable cage.

The cage has two very small front doors (bigger arms could easily get stuck in them lol!) and one very large top door. Nibble's previous cage (Alaka) had two big doors, top and front, and although I'd love a big front door I'm not missing it as much as I thought. I was able to set the cage up for Nibble easily, transplanting his old setup to the new cage exactly the same, so access isn't an issue. The other reason I wanted a front door was because I know hams don't like thinks coming from above, and our baby Glowy wasn't yet 6 weeks before he went into the Barney and I didn't like the idea of always looming down from above whilst trying to tame him. However this hasn't been a problem, he doesn't mind me reaching down from above, and he will happily march right out of the small doors already.

The cage base is deep enough for a decent layer of substrate - both hams have 3 bags of Carefresh in there and manage to dig themselves lovely tunnels. Glowy nests in the substrate and hasn't had to pile any up, he just dug straight down.

As you can see from the pics, there's plenty of room for a big wheel, both are 11" trixie wheels. Glowy's has the stand resting on two bendy bridges and cable tied to the cage (he likes to move his wheel around!) and Nibble's has the stand attached to the top of the cage with cable ties. Both arrangements seem to work well.

This cage offers lots of space to be able to offer your ham plenty to do. Glowy has a climbing arrangement by the Sputnik as he likes to climb, Nibble has a couple of sputniks linked together as an extra level, as he isn't a climber at all. By the way, the purple tubes from p@h fit perfectly in the openings for the rat sized sputniks, and even the biggest Syrian hams can use them (Nibble, I'm looking at you!), all the others I tried were too big. I like them because the hams can't fall off them!

Overall, I'd highly recommend this cage. I changed Nibble from an Alaska because the quality of the Alaska isn't great. For £15 more (the Alaska is usually £35) I'd get this because the accessories are better quality, dimensions are better, bars have smaller spacing and overall it's a better quality cage. It doesn't take up that much room either!

Bertiebobbins is offline   Reply With Quote