View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM  
Fluffagrams

Default Re: Chinese hamster questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Hamstery View Post
Try her with the silent spinner you have before going out and getting a new one (if she's old enough for a wheel). It can be fine for some Chinese hams.
I have 6.5" Silent Spinners for my two Chineseys and although Lord James isn't quite old enough for his yet, it's the perfect size for Lady May who is fully grown at 10 months old. I wouldn't say she's excessively small for a Chinese so it might be worth doing as Vectis suggests and trying her with it to see how she gets on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectis Hamstery View Post
My Chineseys love lots of substrate to dig about in and burrow. In fact, most of them prefer that to climbing if given the choice! For climbing, I've used branches from the reptile/fish sections of pet shops for them to scamper over if they choose.
That's a really good idea and once that didn't really cross my mind until now. I'll have to have a look in the aquatics section for some next time I go to the pet shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann View Post
I think she's starting to get a little braver. She lingered a little longer when she came out last night. How long should I wait before I start handling her? I don't want to wake her up, should I just wait until evening when she's more likely to be awake? Or should I just wait until she comes out of her house? Thanks so much for the advice!
With Lady May I used to wait until the evening before waking her up gently and then allowing her to come out of her nest before trying to get her out. When I first got her I found it easier to get her to climb into a toy or something to lift her out until she got used to me and eventually she was happy to let me pick her up from her cage.

Congratulations on your new addition by the way.
Fluffagrams is offline   Reply With Quote